18 November 2012

I hate it when my computer freezes up.


Last week when I posted photos of the pretty frost on everything I gave no thought to the effects cold weather has on things especially my hard drive. Being that I haven’t lived in seasonal climate since back in the mid-eighties and being that I have lived in a climate controlled environment for the last 25 years I had no idea that if your computer is in a cabin in the middle of the woods during a cold snap with no heat it could destroy your hard drive. 

How’s that for a run-on sentence.

So here’s what happen, sometime in the last few days after a few nights of below freezing temperatures I went into my cabin turned on my computer and got a whole bunch of error messages. After several attempts at re-booting I realize something was very wrong. So I ran into the house and Goggled “does extreme cold affect a hard drive?”

Answer – YES.

Below freezing temperatures does serious irreversible damage to your hard drive.



Who knew?

If computers like to be warm what’s the little fan for?

How come they don’t come with a little computer cozy?

Where’s the big red warning sign?

You know don’t use in shower or while on medication and oh yeah, by the way this contraption is not a Snow Board so keep it warm, around 70 degrees warm.

At this point I’ll be glad if I can retrieve my family photos and videos.

Wish me luck, I’ll need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment