14 November 2010

I just miss wearing sweaters

Fall in Splender by Lars Van DeGoor

Every year I collect photos of autumn and winter reminiscing about the change in seasons.  Living in South Florida I forget what month it is let alone what season it is.  It’s basically warm all the time.

Except for last year, the cold snaps usually last at a week or so.  Even the Christmas season is lacking.  Going into stores in mid-August when its 96 degrees and seeing Christmas trees and Santa Claus displays become annoying and confusing in a mind sort of way.  There have even been a couple of years that I have gone to the beach on Christmas Eve; it’s just not right I tell ya.

It’s like we are on a continuous vacation, people are riding bicycles, playing tennis, going to the beach all the time, everyone’s tan.  I live in a time-share infomercial … I miss the seasons, I miss wearing sweaters, I miss the down time of winter. 

I want to rake leaves with my boys, play two hand touch in the front yard, I want to sit around with my family and look outside and see two feet of snow.  I miss snow ball fights and sledding. I miss coming inside all cold and numb and having a cup of hot cocoa. You can’t drink hot cocoa when its 98 degrees without passing out and besides the pineapple gets funky and the umbrella starts to fall apart when it’s in hot liquid.

I just miss wearing sweaters.

1 comment:

  1. I think you have such a problem with the lack of seasons because you were raised with them. I was raised seasonless (in FL) so it's not that big of a deal.

    I am delighted, however, when cool weather comes. Conversely, I am appalled when cold weather comes.

    However, the glorious fall leaves are definitely worth it!

    Katie -- by the fire

    ReplyDelete