25 November 2011

That’s so last century



Being from the last century and growing up in a traditional Italian (Catholic) and Jewish Brooklyn neighborhood we were taught to respect each other’s beliefs systems and holiday worship. 

Back in the old neighborhood unlike today, Christmas’ celebratory mood didn’t start in late August, it started the day after or should I say the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Mom would usually set up the tree on Saturday evening while I watched “It’s a Charlie Brown Christmas” or “Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer” on one of the 7 free television stations we so proudly received on our Magnavox console television.

It was a time that Christmas had meaning; it was a time when it was about celebrating the birth of Christ and about relationships, relationships between family, friends and community.

It wasn’t about sales, it wasn’t about numbers. It was about spirit, it was about feelings, it was about hope, it was about being together.

So now in good conscience I can feel those feelings, I can start saying Merry Christmas to all those I come in contact with even though most cashiers have been instructed by corporate to say “happy holidays” as not to offend.

I can start to hope that Christmas will be a new beginning and that next year will bring positive changes and new adventures for me and my family. I can hope that I make a difference in my family and friend’s lives; I can hope that we all make a difference.

So to all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! *

*Unless of course if you’re Jewish which in that case Happy Hanukkah! If you’re a believer of Islam, Hinduism, Chinese traditional religion, Buddhism, Primal-indigenous, African Traditional & Diasporic, Sikhism, Juche, Spiritism, Baha'I, Jainism, Shinto, Cao Dai, Zoroastrianism, Tenrikyo, Neo-Paganism, Unitarian-Universalism, Rastafarianism, or Scientology  I don’t know what if anything to say to you so please disregard the pervious  greetings or farewell of Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  

And last but not least if you’re a Secular Nonreligious Agnostic Atheist I like you anyway so without any religious connotations or judgment Merry Today and Happy Tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment