03 October 2010

Nostalgia

We took the kids to T-Y Park tonight so they could ride their bicycles without the worry of being ran down by a speeding car.  While the older boys and Echo’s friend Sebastian went off on their own Judith and I walked Baby Emerson in the stroller.  As we strolled down the path, Silas was on his two wheeler with training wheels and Girly was on her scooter, I spotted a Mr. Softee ice cream truck.


Boy did that trunk bring back memories of being a kid in Brooklyn, hot summer nights yelling out of excitement for my mom to give me a quarter for a cone.  I would always buy a chocolate cone with chocolate sprinkles, best quarter I ever spent unless of course if the Good Humor man came around first or Bungalow Bar or Eddie Spaghetti or King Kong.  My mother would have gone broke if I patronized each and every trunk that came around each and every day.

So back to the park, I joyfully ordered a vanilla cone with chocolate sprinkles for me, because it seems chocolate ice cream seems to spoil very quickly down here in the arm pit of America so they don’t sell it, a cup of vanilla ice cream with pink scary stuff on it that Judith and Girly were going to share because Girly wanted something pink and an ice cream sandwich for Silas.

Eight bucks! No wonder none of us want to let go of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment